Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day

In celebration of Earth Day, I am using the green font. The news anchors for the States were asking everyone to think green and be environment friendly today. I think after living here on St. Thomas, I have realized the value of thinking green. For one, we have to conserve water here, as we have a cistern at the house, and it depends on rainwater. Therefore, if it doesn't rain, we don't get more water! Thankfully, this hasn't been an issue, but it definitely makes you more aware of how much water we waste in the States. As for recycling, well, it doesn't really exist here...which is a shame. They are having these huge landfills (which, as you recall from my earlier blog are full of nasty garbage that can explode and catch on fire at any time) and they aren't really doing much about the issue. It is a shame to see this beautiful island with all of these giant dumpsters on the side of the road filled up with garbage thrown all around the area. Now, this isn't to say the entire island is a landfill, but the non-touristy parts could definitely use some cleaning up.


On a brighter note, I'm looking into buying an underwater camera so that I can take pictures of my scuba diving fun...I don't want to miss another Eagle Ray or Puffer Fish picture! Plus, I really want a nice camera before I dive the Rhone next month or before Hawaii in June. I hope to buy one this week, so I will have it hopefully before my next dive.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shaunda, my name is Angel and I am the lodging coordinator for Platinum Select. I talked to Shelba today about Dans housing and she passed along your blog. I Hope you don't mind. I love it that you guys are having so much fun out there and that you really like your housing!! That makes me so happy! Your little dog is so cute!! I'm happy to see that you and Dan have met - that is awesome! He has sent me pictures of the island and they are just breath taking! Well, have a blast! Wish I was there! I seriously need to reconsider my career path and become a traveler!!!! We were sad to see Mikalyn leave but proud of her at the same time! She is awesome! Please let me know if you ever need anything!!!! :)

Regards, Angel Garcia
Lodging Coordinator - Platinum Select
866-217-8809
agarcia@platinumselect.org