Thursday, September 11, 2008

In Remembrance...

I wanted to take the time today to do what every American should do, take a moment of silence to remember that terrible day 7 years ago.

It is a shame that the memory of that day is fading in the minds of many Americans, and they are having a hard time remembering why exactly we went to war in the first place. I still remember waking up that day as a RA in Lever Hall and walking down the hall to see one of my residents watching something on the news. I quickly rushed back to my room and turned on the television to see the broadcast showing the first building with a smoking, gaping hole. Then, as I'm watching the news, the second plane goes crashing into the 2nd building. Then, I hear reports about the Pentagon and the 4th plane crashing in the Pennsylvania field. How could this happen? I remember thinking that over and over as I called people I knew were awake to tell them to turn on the television. I also went to the candle-light vigil held on Bowman Field that night (at Clemson University) and hearing so many people saying they had not yet heard from a family member who was living in New York or supposed to have been on a plane that morning. I also remember being glued to the television when I was not in class to watch to see if any more survivors had been fount and cheering for President Bush's announcement that we were going to war to fight for our freedom and safety to make sure another attack like this did not happen on American soil. I also remember the many young people who signed up to join the military to fight to preserve this great country and keep the large majority of us safe as we sleep in our warm beds. So today, and everyday, we should take the time to remember those terrible days and remember all of those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 and all of the many who have lost their lives since in the military to keep us safe while they are defending us from the evil people who threatened our peace of mind and safety.

May God continue to bless America and our troops!

No comments: