Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Independence Day!





Today is the day for celebrating America's Independence from the British influence. While it is important to thank those men so many years before who had the foresight to care about the well-being of all of the future generations of Americans. It is also important to remember those who are currently in the Armed Forces serving our country to protect this freedom that we gained all of those years ago on July 4, 1776.

Last night, Chicago had another giant fireworks display to celebrate the occasion. An estimated 1.2 million people were downtown in various locations enjoying the festivities. Thankfully, I was able to avoid the crowd and sit on my couch and watch the show and listen to the accompanying music on WGN. The great thing about this fireworks display is that as it was televised on WGN, I was able to call my mother and tell her to switch the channel so that she could experience the same fireworks that I was watching. Toby enjoyed the fireworks as well, in fact, he has already learned the word 'fireworks.' Every time I mention 'fireworks,' Toby runs to the sliding glass door and looks in the direction of where the fireworks come from, very cute!

I'm planning on heading out later to walk around downtown a bit. Check out the Taste of Chicago and maybe do a little shopping!

Happy Independence Day!