Thursday, March 20, 2008

Giant Waves at Hull Bay



For those of you who don't know, the Caribbean is getting hit by large swells at this very moment. Something to do with a cold front coming through. Apparently, this does not happen often, and the last time was in 1991 when the ship "Andrea Gail" was wrecked (you may remember the movie based on this wreck "The Perfect Storm). So, I decided that I would take the opportunity to take Toby to the beach at Hull Bay for his first time and check out the waves. Hull Bay is on the North side of the island, where the waves were larger.


Well, I get there and the waves are HUGE! I was carrying Toby the entire time that I was on the beach, as the sand strip was narrow and waves were coming ashore quickly. So, I had finished taking my share of pictures and some other people had dogs and grabbed my attention. I walked about 20 feet from where the waves had been hitting, and then let Toby get down to see the other dogs. Just as I was about to take a picture (I had my back to the waves), a rouge wave came crashing on the beach and came all of the way up about 30 feet from the water line! Poor Toby started to get washed away and started to swim...who knew, my little dog can swim?...and I grabbed on his leash and pulled him out of the water and into my arms. At first, he had a look of horror on his face, but then he kind of looked like "Hey mommy, I can swim!" Needless to say, I was drenched from my waist down and poor Toby was soaked (but his head managed to stay dry). I think Toby was more upset that when we got home, I had to give him a bath...I felt like a horrible mother, but there was no way to know the wave would crash up that high. I wasn't the only one who got soaked, everyone on the beach was drenched as well.

No comments: