Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hello Everyone!




So, I finally decided to start a blog! My upstairs neighbor have one of their life living in St. Thomas, so I figured now would be a great time to document my travels...

As many of you know, I graduated from PT school in December 2006, too my PT boards 2 weeks later, then began working at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center as a PT in January. I worked there for 6 months, first in the Acute care setting, then in the long term acute care setting, including wound care. While I loved my job and my coworkers, I decided to try my hand as a traveling PT.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, traveling PT's basically work for a company (I chose Platinum Select and absolutely love my recruiter Mikalyn!), then get contracted out for short assignments to various locations around the US. I thought this would be a good way for me to see more of the US and see a variety of PT settings before I finally decide to settle down. Plus, I get to bring my sweet angel Toby (my nearly 2 year old maltipoo) with me wherever I go! Going back to the story to catch everyone up...

I was initially planning to head to St. Thomas in January for my first assignment, however 'island time' prohibited this from happening. The contracts were taking forever to get signed and the PT board was not meeting to approve me fore a PT license! So, Mikalyn and I decided that I should take a short-term assignment in NC to provide St. Thomas more time to complete the paperwork. So, I decided to take a job in a nursing home just outside of Wilmington, NC. It was so beautiful living in Wilmington, and I got to go visit the USS North Carolina while I was there. In addition, I loved my coworkers in Brunswick Cove and I had some patients who will stay in my memory for a long time (some for good reasons, others for not so good reasons...). Although I was only at Brunswick Cove for 6 weeks, I did enjoy my time and met friends, not just co-workers.

When I left Brunswick Cove (Feb. 28, 2008), I packed up my things and headed to High Point for some last minute packing. Okay, so by last minute packing, I mean throwing all of my winter stuff in my mom's house and staying up late for 2 nights packing for 3 months in the Virgin Islands! Poor Toby was so confused to what was happening. On Saturday morning, Toby and I were taken to the airport in Charlotte and we flew down to St. Thomas. My rental car company picked me up at the airport, and my neighbors met me at the rental car place so that I could follow them back to the house. Needless to say, it is a very strange thing driving on the left side of the road, but I am used to it now.

Now, here I am in St. Thomas and am loving the tropical paradise! Look to future blogs for stories about my first weeks in St. Thomas, and I will start regularly posting blogs from here on out for all of my time as a traveling PT!

No comments: