Thursday, March 20, 2008

St. John (Sunday, 3/16/08)




So, today, Jay and Debbie invited me out to St. John with them. You get to St. John by taking a ferry from Red Hook that costs $5 one way, and lasts about 20 minutes or so. The ferry leaves every hour, pretty much like clock-work (the one thing on the island that is timely). You arrive at Cruz Bay, St. John and there are a few little shops. We took the 10 am ferry and went to the St. John Spice Shop upon arrival so that Debbie could buy a beach bag. I still need to buy a beach bag, but I think I am going to get one in St. Thomas at Havensight.

We took a safari taxi to Maho Bay to meet with a family that Jay and Debbie know from the Virgin Islands Forum (there was a huge group of people from the forum that were going to be on the island that day). Maho Bay was so pretty, and I even got into the water. The water is a little chilly, but once you got in, it was okay. It began to rain a little, so that wasn't as fun, but hey, still better than being in NC in the cold air! We stayed out in the ocean when it was raining, and all of the tourists quickly packed up and ran for cover. While we were on the beach, we saw 2 dolphins swimming around near the beach...very cool! Since the sun wasn't out, I didn't feel the need to be adventurous and take my snorkel gear out. Maybe next time...

After the beach, we headed to the house that the family we met up with was renting. It overlooked Coral Bay, so I got to see a different side of the island. Apparently, every year, they have an event called "Eight Tough Miles" where people walk the windy, hilly, and steep roads from Coral Bay to Cruz Bay...if you drove that road and saw it, you would see why I say "no thanks!" The curves are hairpin, where you have to honk before approaching to ensure that no other car is approaching. While at their house, we got to change out of our beach clothes and put out some sugar to see the bananaquits. These are tiny little black and yellow birds that LOVE sugar! There were about 8 on the dish at one point!

Later, we drove back to Cruz Bay, where we went to a place called 'The Beach Bar' and ate dinner, listened to Jazz music, and Jay and Debbie met some of the people from the forum. I also got to call my mother from the Web camera so that she could see me online! There was about a 20 second delay, but at least she did get to see me in semi-real time.

We took the 7 pm ferry back to Red Hook and drove back home. Toby was SOOOOO excited to see me back. He's a mamma's boy for sure! Speaking of Toby, he loves it here! He insists on going outside every day to run around on the pool deck. He loves the outside warm sun.

No comments: