Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!




Sorry for no post yesterday, but the internet has been down since Friday. That is just the way life is on the islands I suppose!

So, this weekend has been one of great excitement for me, as I became scuba diving certified today! Yesterday, I went out for my first open water dive, and I got to see a reef called Flat Cay and then another reef area called East Wind (there was also a small boat wreck there). In the water, I had to show off some of the skills that I had learned in the pool, and then I could enjoy the rest of the dive. I saw tons of colorful fish, conch shells, sea biscuits, an eel, baracudas, and a few lobsters. It was so amazing being so close to the water, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Today, I went out to the military wreck site (no war story here, just the Kennedy aircraft carrier was loading equipment onto the barge, missed and crashed through the barge to sink it) called Kennedy and another reef called Spratt Point. In the first dive, I got to go down as far as 60 feet and saw a HUGE sting ray buried in the sand (it was at least 5 feet wide) and numerous fish. On the second dive, I saw 2 sea turtles, another sting ray, an eel playing around, a baracuda, and lots of fish. Since I finished the last of my skills at the beginning of this dive, I was a certified diver for most of the dive and I got to go through a couple of coral tunnels and use my bouyancy. Sorry, no pictures from the dive (I found these on the web) as I don't have an underwater camera...but I will have to get some pictures on other dives that I take. I will have to find a good underwater camera! I have to give a big thanks to Admiralty Dive Center and my instructor Dave for making this such a great experience for me!

Happy Easter everyone!

No comments: