Thursday, March 20, 2008

Week One







So, I arrived on Saturday, March 1st to St. Thomas and followed my new neighbors to the house. I must say, it is a very strange thing to drive on the left side of the road! The trickiest part at first are the intersections. On Saturday, I moved my things into the cute new apartment and let Toby run around. The poor thing was still drugged from the plane ride, so he wasn't in full force until the next day. Jay and Debbie grilled out, so that was nice that I didn't have to worry about finding something to cook on the first night! I went to sleep early and the next day, I lounged around the pool, went out driving/exploring on the island, and then we all went out to dinner at the Fat Turtle that sits out on the marina. Very pretty scenery, I still cannot believe that I am down here finally!

On Monday, I began work, my first day was sitting through orientation all day (boring). Then, on Tuesday, I got to meet all of my coworkers and work with a couple of patients. On Wednesday, I had a case load of my own patients and have been working on my own since then. My first week, I think about 1/4 of my patients showed up, so I spent a lot of time being bored...thankfully, this has changed. My coworkers also gave me some directions, so I found how to get to some other places on the island. Driving here is still stressful, but I'm getting used to it.

For the weekend, I went to Magen's Bay on Saturday. The Virgin Island's Therapy Association was having a health fair there, so I got in for free! The beach was gorgeous and the views phenomenal! On my way back, I stopped at the St. Thomas dairy for a milkshake...very yummy! On Sunday, Deb and I went to a different grocery store, so I got to see the East end of the island. Some of the roads to that end are like roller coasters! Food items are definitely more expensive here, so it is difficult adjusting to that!

Overall, my first week on the island went well, and I think I will enjoy my time here!

No comments: